Monday, July 23, 2012

Myriad Aberrant Plethora

The title is in relevance to the list I wrote outlining my objectives over summer. That makes it sound like a corporate event, but basically one of the things I want to do is learn a new word and use it each day. Those are my first three, and I did use each of them. Also on the list is wanting to do something productive each day, which I have also adhered to so far, and plan to keep doing so.

I've wanted baby barrettes for ages, but England isn't America and I refuse to pay £6 per barrette from Etsy  that I will lose at school anyway so I'll have to wait until I have dispensable enough income to do that. Instead I thought I'd buy some buttons that I would glue gun to clips to sort of, improvise.



Above is like a ~montage~ of them, first all of the bling I attached, then the clips before, and the FINISHED PRODUCT. There wasn't really any external inspiration for them, and in the end the only baby/goody barrette looking on is the tri-flower one, the others look like a toddler got given access to some glue and mish mashed together different entities of plastic.

I wore three of them and I had daisies in my plaits (still do) I didn't make those oops.
Then I had a lot of left over glittery things and I bought some Primark sunglasses for £1 which were hella ugly in colour, so I planned to buy some glitter, mix it with PVA and paint the mixture on to them, but I forgot to buy the last two substances and had to improvise and use nail varnish. I'm utterly astonished I don't have acetone poisoning (I might I suppose) because I used two layers of Barry M candy pink as a base, then applied some glitter polish that came free in a magazine and is therefore unbranded but it was really really good, and the consistency of it meant the pink layer didn't have to be perfect. As a perfectionist, I like things to be perfect, so knowing they'd look perfect even if the pink wasn't was assuring. 

I didn't realise but there's daisies here too, subconsciously they keep appearing in my life I swear. 


I saw this after making mine but they're snazzy and deserve to be here.
 Hopefully I've inspired you to do either of these DIY's that don't actually tell you how to do them but It's quite self explanatory, all you need is a glue gun. Have a good summer guys!

Hollie


7 comments:

  1. hey:) everything looks lovely. making barrettes/hairclips is on my summer to do list so thankyou for giving me some ideas. i was feeling really motivated today (haha) and i did a post on my blog about me being motivated etc if you want to see:
    http://cottonmixblog.blogspot.com
    <3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm replying really late because I went away but I did read your post before seeing your comment here actually, it was on my reading list because I follow you! XX

      Delete
  2. Love your glasses, such a clever idea. Been looking for a pair of crazy sunnies for some time now so I might steal some of your ideas haha.Brilliant blog, great job Hollie.
    Bethany Paige (www.paigeoffashion.blogspot.com) XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love crazy sunglasses, I got the idea from a shop on Etsy selling a dress and the girl modelling it wore these extra specially rad glasses before I started seeing them in editorial fashion and other stuff. This was like last year I wish I'd done it sooner! Please do, let's infiltrate the world with them, nothing like augmented accessories. Thank you! XX

      Delete
  3. Your glasses look awesome!! I will definitely do this one day:) learning a new word everyday sounds so much fun! Yay! I really like your blog and I think I follow you on instagram:)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Please do! It actually is so fun, I feel like I am expanding my brain, it's a good thing and I will probably continue beyond summer, I carry a pocket dictionary of really obscure words everywhere anyway so it's something to use it for! What's your Instagram name? :-) X

      Delete
    2. my name's unicornconnect:)

      Delete